The country’s first state museum of Russian fine arts was founded in 1895 by the tsar Nicholas II and was opened on March 7th (19th) in 1898 in the Mikhailovsky palace, situated in a lovely corner of the city center. The recently renovated building is illuminated at night, which makes an evening stroll in the Square of Arts absolutely adorable.
The Russian museum today is the world’s largest museum of Russian fine art numbering about 400.000 exhibits. The permanent exhibition represents all stages of Russian fine art from the tenth to the twentieth centuries. The collection embraces all forms, genres, schools and movements of art. Besides the museum features many temporary exhibitions, which can also be of interest to a visitor: these are usually located in the Benois Building, accessible from the embankments of Kanal Griboedova (near to the Saviour on the Spilled Blood). Today the museum complex has grown and includes Stroganov Palace, Mikhailovsky (Engineers) Castle and the Marble Palace.
More at http://www.rusmuseum.ru/